Monday, December 8, 2014

The Raven Boys, Maggie Stiefvater

In The Raven Boys, by Maggie Stiefvater the main character, Blue, comes from a large family of clairvoyant women. She's been told since she was a child that she would kill her true love by kissing him. Blue doesn't want to believe this, but she knows that what the women see is real. On St. Mark's Eve Blue and her aunt Neeve go to the cemetery to get the name of all the people who will die in the next 12 months, whose spirits will pass through there that night, although Blue won't be able see them because she isn't clairvoyant. But then she does see one. The only reason a non-seer would see a spirit on St. Mark's Eve, either you're their true love or you killed them. His name is Gansey.

Maggie Stiefvater is amazing and one of my favorite authors. I definitely have to say that the Raven Boys is my favorite book by her. I really enjoyed the unique perspectives given to the story by all of her wonderful but very different characters. Blue is so amazing and strong and eccentric, I think that she's an great character. I also loved Adam, who is so honest and works so hard at everything. My favorite character, by far, is Gansey. Gansey is in a way the perfect, cliche rich boy, but when you really understand him and his heart you realize that he's also the opposite. Gansey is an absolutely extraordinary character, as are all the other characters. I really loved The Raven Boy by Maggie Stiefvater.

Reviewed by Lucy H., Grade 9
Montrose Library

No comments: